The Olomouc Museum of Art (earlier the Gallery of Fine Arts) was founded in the year 1952 as part of the Natural History Museum. After the year 1989 the Museum of Art acquired a separate building in the centre of the city. From the year 1991 adaptations for museum purposes took place to the building. The Museum administers more than 65,000 art objects (from the areas of painting, sculpture, drawings, free and applied graphics, photography, applied art and architectural documentation) making it the third largest institution of its kind in the Czech Republic.
The Olomouc Archdiocesan Museum as part of the Museum of Art was established in the year 1998 and consists of the first museum of ecclesiastical culture in the Czech Republic. It includes the Romanesque Palace of the Moravian Bishops next to St. Wenceslas Cathedral at the Olomouc Přemyslid Castle. As of the year 1999, the northern part of the former Castle, the building of the chapter deanery and its husbandry yard, was gradually reconstructed for the needs of the Archdiocesan Museum. The grounds, documenting the architectural and artistic development of the Olomouc Castle over the course of an entire millennium, from the remains of the Bishop’s and Princely Palaces through the high Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance periods up to the late Baroque and Rococo interiors, were ceremonially opened to the public on the 1st of June 2006.
The earlier museum building on Denisova Street, now named the Museum of Modern Art, serves for permanent and temporary exhibitions of the fine arts of the 20th and 21st centuries. The Archdiocesan Museum is thus to the greatest extent dedicated to older art and culture.
The Kroměříž Archdiocesan Museum was established at the end of the year 2006 as part of the Olomouc Museum of Art. This detached section of the Museum is seated at the Archbishop’s Château in Kroměříž. The Château includes one of the largest château libraries in the Czech Republic. The Library was founded in the year 1694 and contains almost 90 thousand volumes, including illuminated manuscripts. The Château is additionally home to a music archive with more than 6 thousand mainly Baroque compositions. The collection of paintings, ranking among the most significant in the country, is also of great value. The Château also contains a rich collection of drawings by old masters, a collection of graphic art and a unique collection of coins and medals. In light of its historical and artistic importance the Château in Kroměříž along with its gardens were proclaimed a national cultural monument in the year 1995 and additionally registered on to the UNESCO List of World Cultural and Natural Heritage in the year 1998.
Tagged: , Olomouc , Museum , Art